Kelly Criterion for an example

There's a 55% chance of winning, 45% chance of losing. 

A win will result in 35% increase (e.g. $100->$135). A loss will result in a 30% loss ($100->$70). 

What's the Kelly Criterion? (please show work)

Answer

Answers can be viewed only if
  1. The questioner was satisfied and accepted the answer, or
  2. The answer was disputed, but the judge evaluated it as 100% correct.
View the answer
Kav10 Kav10
1.4K
  • Thanks. What's been confounding me is the partial loss here. It seems b is a bet ratio, and partials aren't covered in this version of the formula?

    • Kav10 Kav10
      0

      Win gains 35% and lose loss is 30%. There is no partial loss. See both formulas, they calculate it using two separate approaches.

  • The formula I looking at was f* = [bp − aq] / ab , difference is denominator is multiple loss and gain, that's not accurate?

    • Kav10 Kav10
      0

      No. That’s not!

  • @kav10 i'm going to accept this because the prize is too low. I want to open another question (or I'm happy to tip $50 here) to dig further into this because I've only been able to make all derivatives get the same values if there is a total loss, not a partial loss. You can see https://streetfins.com/the-kelly-criterion-explained/ and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_criterion (under Investing Formula) f* = [bp − aq] / ab = p/a - q/b and f=(bp-q)/b match when there is a total loss of a

    • Kav10 Kav10
      0

      Looks like you have not accepted yet! I’ve already solved the question with two approaches and answered your questions all for $4. Do you think that’s fair?

    • Kav10 Kav10
      0

      Please state specifically what you need for the additional money. It should take me less than hour as my rate is $60/hour. Or you can just open a new question.

  • Also can see Thorp's page 7, lines 25-28: https://wayback.archive-it.org/all/20090320125959/http://www.edwardothorp.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/KellyCriterion2007.pdf "One claim was that one can only lose the amount bet so there was no reason to consider the (simple) generalization of this formula to the situation where a unit wager wins b with probability p > 0 and loses a with probability q. Then if the expectation m ≡ bp − aq > 0, f∗ > 0 and f∗ = m/ab."

    • Kav10 Kav10
      0

      Remember that there are two main versions of the Kelly Critereon formula, one used for Gambling and one used for Investment. Regarding your question about partial loss, I did some research and a more general form of Kelly's formula considers the partial loss associated with an investment: {\displaystyle f^{*}={\frac {p}{a}}-{\frac {q}{b}}}

    • This is not correct. See https://matchmaticians.com/questions/npszwx

  • This = The answer*

    • Per my other question: the correct formula is {\displaystyle f^{*}={\frac {p}{a}}-{\frac {q}{b}}}, where a and b 0

    • comment got cut off … a and b are between 0 and 1. The first formula above in the answer is just the case where a=1 the second formula above in the answer seems to just not work.

The answer is accepted.
Join Matchmaticians Affiliate Marketing Program to earn up to 50% commission on every question your affiliated users ask or answer.